Muhammad Ali, the greatest boxer the world has ever seen, passed away on Friday. He was struggling with Parkinson’s disease and was being treated for a respiratory issue earlier this week.
Ali was one of the most recognisable faces in the world during the ’70s and became known as “The Greatest.” He’s gone, but his wisdom and fiery statements shall remain a source of inspiration for generations to come.
Here are a few powerful quotes by the quick-witted and quick-hitter:
1. Float like a butterfly, Sting like a bee, your hands can’t hit, what your eyes can’t see
2. Live every day like it’s your last because someday you’re going to be right
3. Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even
4. The will must be stronger than the skill
5. Impossible is just a word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they’ve been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It’s an opinion. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing
6. He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life
7. Champions aren’t made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them: a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will
Muhammad Ali on how he would like to be remembered:
8. I’m not the greatest, I’m the double greatest
9. In the ring we have a referee to stop the fight if one man should become too hurt physically. Boxing is nothing like going to war with machine guns, bazookas, hand grenades and bomber airplanes
10. He (God) gave me Parkinson’s syndrome to show me I’m just a man like everyone else. To show me I’ve got human frailties like everybody else does. That’s all I am: a man
11. The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses—behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights
Rest in peace, legend.
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.
The post Last name Ever, first name Greatest: 11 memorable quotes by Muhammad Ali appeared first on The Express Tribune.